Teaching Series Introduction:
One man changed history more than any other. Our calendar is based on his life. Our symbols of hope are based on his death… but do we really know who he is?
Session 5: The Message
TEACHING SERIES: Jesus
TITLE: Session 5: The Message
BY: Nathanael Ballew
DATE: 24 Oct 2021
The message of Jesus is one full of hope and love, and yet always results in lasting fruit. The more we understand the hope and love that Jesus offers, the more change it will always produce. If we aren’t seeing the fruit, then maybe we need to understand the message even more.
If our default position is to find fault in others before we see any fault in ourselves, then Jesus has something to say! The message of Jesus always results in change….starting with me.
CHILDRENS & YOUTH RESOURCES:
These resources will be used within the various groups in-person on a Sunday morning. This means that if you are unable to attend one of our Sunday Gatherings, you can still study and follow along with the same material at a time that is best for you. However you study, we encourage you to engage with your group as much as possible. If you would like to know about how you can get connected with our children’s or youth groups please contact us, we would love to hear from you.
There are three different sets of questions for you to use, whether you are exploring God’s word within your Life Group, in other group settings, or simply using them on your own.
A. DISCUSSION STARTERS
These are simple questions to provoke discussion together out of the talk (ideal if you are watching our Sunday Service online with others in your group):
- What did you agree with in the talk, or find particularly helpful or meaningful?
- Was there anything in the talk that you didn’t agree with, or found difficult to understand or take in?
- From the talk, is there anything that you want to change or implement into your life?
B. QUESTIONS TO EXPLORE
These are questions that are based on the talk and the surrounding themes:
- At the beginning of the talk, Nathanael asked about your best character traits! What would you say they were?
- Read Luke 6:43-49. What particularly strikes you about this passage of the bible? If you were to summarise it in a sentence, what would you say?
- In verses 43-45, Jesus highlights an obvious truth – that the fruit in someone’s life is as a result of what is within that person. In what ways might this be an encouragement to you, and in what ways might it be a challenge?
- The phrase ‘For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of’ is striking! We’ve all said things that we regret, or wish we hadn’t said. However, Jesus is showing that what sometimes comes out of our mouth is not a surprise…it is the overflow of our hearts. How then, do you think we might change what is within?
- In 46-49, Jesus contrasts two sets of house builders. What does he say is the difference? What is the crucial foundation of the sturdy house? What might this look like in your life at the moment?
- Nathanael mentioned that these verses are about where the ‘roots’ of your life are planted and where the ‘branches’ of your life reach. What does this mean for your life?
- Take some time to pray, asking God that your ‘roots’ would be planted firmly in Jesus and that your ‘branches’ would spread wide to others with the love and life of Christ.
C. GOING DEEPER
COMING SOON! These are questions to help you go a little deeper, by exploring the wider biblical context.
‘Bullies and Saints’ by John Dickson
Watch Online: YouTube
Listen Online: Podcast
‘People, like trees, are known through what they produce.’(Joel B Green)
““…the more we understand humanity, the more willing we might be to acknowledge
the “log in the eye” of us all.’(John Dickson)